Last modified on April 11, 2012
- Grimley, M., Nilsen, T., Kerr, R., Green, R. and Thompson, D. Virtual Worlds for Science Learning. In S. Rodrigues (Ed.), Multiple Literacy and Science Education: ICTs in Formal and Informal Learning Environments: 263-279. Hershey: IGI Global, 2010.
- Nilsen T., Understanding and Creating the Play Experience. In Concepts and Technologies for Pervasive Games, Magerkurth, C., Röcker, C (eds), ISBN 978-3-8322-6224-2, Shaker Verlag 2007.
- Nilsen T., A Designer’s Guide to Augmented Reality Technology. In Concepts and Technologies for Pervasive Games, Magerkurth, C., Röcker, C (eds), ISBN 978-3-8322-6224-2, Shaker Verlag 2007.
- Grimley, M., Green, R., Nilsen, T., Thompson, D. and Tomes, R., Using computer games for instruction: The student experience. Active Learning in Higher Education 12(1): 45-56, 2011.
- Magerkurth C., Cheok A.D., Mandryk R.L., Nilsen T. (, Pervasive Games: Bringing Computer Entertainment Back to the Real World. In Computers in Entertainment (CIE), Volume 3, Issue 3, p4, July 2005.
- Lisa P. Nathan, Milli Lake, Nell Carden Grey, Trond T. Nilsen, Robert F. Utter, Elizabeth J. Utter, Mark Ring, Zoe Kahn, Batya Friedman: Multi-lifespan information system design in post-conflict societies: an evolving project in Rwanda. CHI Extended Abstracts 2010: 2833-2842
- Grimley, M., Thompson, D., Nilsen, T. and Green, R. Computer Game or Traditional Lecture: The Effect of Delivery Mode on Experience Ratings for High and Low Achieving Students. Helsinki, Finland: European Conference on Educational Research (ECER 2010), 23-27 Aug 2010
- Nilsen T., Houle B., Kuzenski D., and Sheth A., Exploring the Dynamics of Music Piracy. In Proceedings of the 27th International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, July 26-July 30, 2009
- Grimley, M. Green, R. & Nilsen, T. Students’ Learning Experiences in the Digital Age, SRHE Annual Conference 2008 Valuing Higher Education. Liverpool, 9-11th December, 2008.
- Grimley, M. Green, R., Nilsen, T., Thompson, D., 3D-Virtual Worlds and Education for Sustainability. In Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference of the Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability. Tertiary Education Institutions Leading for Sustainability. 1-3 October 2008.
- Nilsen, T., Tankwar – AR Games at GenCon Indy 2005, in Proceedings of 15th International Conference on Artificial Reality and Tele-existence (ICAT 2005), Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Buchmann V., Nilsen T., Billinghurst M., Interaction With Partially Transparent Hands And Objects, In Proceedings of Sixth Australasian User Interface Conference (AUIC 2005), Newcastle, NSW, Australia, January/February 2005.
- Nilsen T., Linton S., Looser J., Motivations for Augmented Reality Gaming, in Proceedings of Fuse 2004, first New Zealand Game Developers Conference.
Workshops & Facilitated Activities
- Nilsen, T., Grey, N.C., and Friedman, B. Public curation of a historic collection: A means for speaking safely in public. Extended Abstracts of CSCW 2012. ACM Press (2012)
- Grimley, M., Green, R. and Nilsen, T. (2006) Computer games in education. Christchurch, New Zealand: ULearn 06, 24th September 2006
- Nilsen T., Looser J., Tankwar -Tabletop war gaming in augmented reality. In Proceedings of 2nd International Workshop on Pervasive Gaming Applications, Munich, Germany.
- Friedman, B., Nathan, L.P., Grey, N.C., Lake, M., Nilsen, T., Utter, E., Utter, R.F., Ring, M., and Kahn. Z., Multi-lifespan information system design in the aftermath of genocide: An early-stage report from Rwanda. University of Washington Information School Technical Report IS-TR-2010-01-09 (2010)
- Nilsen, T., & Thompson, D. Virtual Worlds – Overview & Reference. AGR-TR-08-01, Applied Games Research Ltd / Applied Games Research Group, University of Canterbury.